Saturday, April 7, 2012

Demi Shell Completed!

    I've finished my first handmade shell for my Miche bag! I have the Demi Shell and for $35-40 for an authentic shell I figured it was worth trying to make my own. I learned a bunch of things along the way and there are a couple things I'm going to change next time. But this was my first attempt and I think it might just be usable :)


    I was on the fence for the past few days about whether or not to simply line it, or make it reversible. I even went as far as to cut out pockets for the blue side, but then I changed my mind back. So this bag isn't reversible... but who would want to hide its pretty flowers anyways?


    It's lined in a matching blue cotton from Joann Fabrics. If I do decide to make straps to go with this shell I'm going to use this fabric instead of the flower print because I love how bright it is (I also may have used up all the printed fabric making the shell). The other thing I'm thinking about adding is a grommet on each side so I have the option of using a cross-body shoulder strap. 


    The flaps, which have the magnets in them, show my favorite part of the print on the exterior fabric(I generally love most things with leaves and vines). But I wasn't able to piece the pattern properly on the fabric to use the leaf design on the outside, this was the best I could do :( I also didn't intend to use the daisy design twice but, since I was using a upcycled item, there were a lot of seams and things I needed to work around. Oh well, next time I will use new fabric. Next time I will also add pockets, lots and lots of pockets... >:)

Comments/Criticisms welcome :)

8 comments:

  1. Great looking bag! Where did you get the magnets for your shell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I get my magnetic snaps off of Etsy. There are a bunch of shops that sell them, for example http://www.etsy.com/listing/62207511/10-sets-thin-14mm-magnetic-snaps-button

      For my shell I just needed the magnet half, so now I have 2 metal pieces left without partners :p

      Delete
  2. Hi... I'm so glad I found your finished shell. I too love the Demi! Your shell came out fabulous! You did a great job on it. Bravo!! I sew a little and maybe someday will try it. Where did you get your pattern?

    Lee Ann
    from Ohio
    I'm on FB under my ducks name- RickyBobbys
    If you'd like to get back with me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your demi shell. It looks awesome! I found your blog when searching for a pattern for the demi but am enjoying seeing your other wonderful creations. Thanks as well for the info to buy the magnets. Are you by chance selling the pattern? Thanks and have a blessed day!

    Jan
    joyfuljan at bellsouth dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. No, I'm not selling a pattern for this at the moment. I have thought about writing one though, maybe I will soon!

      Delete
  4. I would love to have a pattern for this. I love the idea of the Miche bag, and actually have the shell for both the prima and the demi, but...all the shells make the purse rather heavy as a whole, and I still never seem to have one that matches what I am wearing. I would like some for summer that are canvas or some lighter weight fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plans have been made to make a downloadable pattern for this Demi shell. I'll probably have it posted in the next month or so. Canvas is a great idea, thanks!

      Delete
    2. Can't wait - my Demi arrived today :)
      Looking forward to buying your pattern x

      Delete